July 13, 2011

U.S. News: "Tea Party doesn't know economics"

A leftist "opinion editor" for US News wrote a piece about the fight over raising the debt ceiling. You really need to read it to see how butt-ignorant this guy is. It's really hard to believe that anyone this stupid could rise to the post of... Ah, yes. In that case, never mind.

His main points were that a) failure to raise the debt limit would be a disaster; b) Tea Party supporters were stooopid; c) it was ridiculous! outrageous! to even suggest cutting spending, since that would kill the just-now-beginning recovery; and finally d) Tea Party supporters were reeeally stoopid.

To which an anonymous commenter replied:

Interesting. So you believe the Democrats' proposition?

I've been spending 150% of my income every month for years, and now my credit card is maxxed out... so clearly I can't pay my rent. Of course I can still pay for hookers and blow, but how could I pay the rent if I can't spend the same as I've been spending before?

What do you mean "prioritize my spending based on the money I have"? That can't possibly be done, it isn't a reasonable request, and anyone who asks it obviously doesn't understand economics.

Good to see at least the writer of the U.S. News article agrees with me. I have to keep paying for hookers and blow, and you're evil if you don't keep loaning me enough money so I can keep spending 50% more than I make every month. Hey, you don't want me to lose my home, do ya?

No, I can't just cut out the hookers and blow, or prioritize spending, or live within my means, or in any way act responsibly. Many unnamed, unquoted economists agree that I must keep my irresponsible spending first, never prioritize spending, and keep borrowing more forever. This is the path to true prosperity and wealth for all.

Just ask these many, unnamed economists. Or the people of Zimbabwe.

Can't improve on that. But Alberto Magnus did:
It's always amusing to see people with journalism degrees (an oxymoron) tell us rubes what life is really all about.
I tip my hat to you, sir! And "Eric of OH" added,
Self-declared "smart" people like [the US News editor] know that you can borrow and spend indefinitely.

Smart people like him understand that a country's debt-to-GDP doesn't matter at ALL. Why, just look at Greece, Portugal and Ireland. You don't see them having any problems with their debt, do you?

Smart folks like [the author] and his pals know that bond markets are trivial and can simply be ignored. If those dumb bond investors start thinking we're a poor risk and don't want to buy U.S. paper at 4%, we'll just make them do it!

[The author] and his buddies are so darned smart that they've repealed the laws of mathematics and economics.

This just gets better and better.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home